Europe wants to become CO2-neutral - as early as possible, but by 2050 at the latest. This goal requires a fundamental transformation of the economy and society. The process industry and its partnerships are central to the success of this transformation: together, we can develop new markets through innovative solutions, save energy and raw materials, replace fossil CO2 sources and increasingly use CO2 as a resource as well.
The Process4Sustainability cluster - a network of companies in the process industry, research institutions and social innovation partners - aims to proactively shape this transformation process. We translate the major goal of CO2 neutrality for individual companies and their specific local conditions.
We want the transformation to succeed.
Based at Industriepark Höchst, we offer companies practical knowledge about the levers of CO2 neutrality, new markets and innovative business models. We create future markets by connecting solution providers with the demand side.
We see ourselves as a partner for business, science, politics and society on the road to climate neutrality and are supported by the Hessian state government and the European Regional Development Fund.
The cluster translates the goal of CO₂ neutrality for individual companies in their specific context: What does the goal of CO₂ neutrality mean for my company? What do I have to pay attention to? What opportunities and risks does the transformation process offer for my business? At the same time, we also support the state of Hesse and the city of Frankfurt with regard to their climate goals.
As a cluster, we offer access to expertise: we organize thematic working groups as well as exchange and innovation formats. We produce studies and position papers. We connect scientists, start-ups, political stakeholders and companies. We facilitate knowledge exchange and accelerate innovation processes in companies. Operationally, we also support in building project consortia and the screening of funding applications.
Activities in detail
- Measurement of the regional CO2 footprint, as well as identification of the levers for climate neutrality for the long-term reduction of CO2 emissions, more resource-efficient production and conversion to alternative energy and raw material sources.
- Identification of technical solutions through technology assessments and concrete demonstration projects in the fields of green steam, recycling and wastewater technologies.
- Addressing new business models for circular economy as well as possible public-private partnership models through international expert workshops
- Networking activities and creation of a platform that promotes the cooperation of different actors (industry, research, NGOs, startups, politics, society) on the topic of sustainability and climate-neutral technologies, as well as bringing together innovation partners and solution providers
- Increasing innovation capacity and competitiveness through joint project development and public funding, e.g. by reviewing public calls for proposals and supporting the application process
- Public interest representation and external communication on climate neutrality issues in the process industry
Who is the cluster aimed at?
Companies in the process industry are to be brought into exchange with solution providers and innovation partners who can help with decarbonization (e.g. other companies, scientific institutions or start-ups).
The cluster's offerings are in particular aimed at small and medium-sized companies in these industries that are seeking a regional, national and international network, want to drive forward new technologies and take advantage of offers to support them on their way to climate neutrality.
As a platform for exchange on climate neutrality in industry, regional representatives, scientific institutions and other interested partners are also invited to join.
About the cluster management
The Process4Sustainability cluster is managed by the Center for Industry and Sustainability at Provadis Hochschule. As the headquarters of the cluster management organization, Industriepark Höchst is the leading location for the chemical and pharmaceutical industries in Hesse - home to more than 90 companies and the provider of more than 22,000 jobs. At the Center for Industry and Sustainability (ZIN), Provadis Hochschule has bundled its interdisciplinary research and education projects in the field of industry and sustainability. Since its foundation in 2016, ZIN has been working in European projects on industrial sustainability, building on close cooperation with national and international partners from science, industry and the public sector.
Interested in cooperating?
Your contact persons
Prof. Dr. Hannes Utikal
Head of Center for Industry and Sustainability
+49 160 9737071